THE BALTIC INITIATIVE AND NETWORK
PROTECTION OF HISTORICALLY VALUABLE INSTALLATIONS AND SITES FROM THE COLD WAR PERIOD
THE IDEA AND OBJECTIVES
The main objective of the Initiative is to strengthen mutual understanding between the countries around the Baltic Sea through an exchange of information on the Cold War period. The idea is that history should be told from the historically valuable sites at which events took place. Relevant sites include, for example: military installations and towns, prisons and prison camps, partisan bunkers, execution sites, secret police offices, sculptures and architecture or simple squares or buildings where memorable events took place.
The information is normally handled by museums. We believe that recent history can be told, effectively, from these sites – it happened here – with the significant help of eye witnesses. The main task up until now has been to initiate and participate in concrete, international activities and co-operation projects that can improve this mutual understanding. Our main activity thus far has been to support and participate in international cooperation projects that strengthen these activities.
Peder Ellehave Kragh, Denmark. Chairman.
Chairman of the Danish History Joint Council. Senior Master at Greve Gymnasium in Physics and History.
Lidia Klupsz, Poland.
National Institute of Cultural Heritage, Poland. Founder and Former president of ICOMOS, International Scientific Committee on Fortification and Military Heritage, ICOFORT; Board Member of Blue Shield International; long-term expert of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage.
Helle Solnask, Estonia.
Vice Chair of Estonian Heritage Society.
Polina Verbytska, Ukraine.
Prof. at History, Museology and Cultural Heritage Department in National Polytechnic University, Lviv. Head of National History Teachers organization “Nova Doba”.
Johannes Bach Rasmussen, Denmark. Secretary.
Landscape Architect and Planner (MSc in Architecture). Founder of the Baltic Initiative and Network.
Contact: Johannes Bach Rasmussen
Morten Kjaergaard, Denmark, is webmaster and Communication and Design Consultant.
The National Contact Persons
The Initiative and Network has one or two National Contact Persons in each of the member countries.
Mr. Peder Jacob Ellehave Kragh
Master of Science in History
Chairman of the Danish History Joint Council
Tel: +45 30588787. E-mail: email@example.com
Vice Chair of Estonian Heritage Society.
Pikk 46, 10133 Tallinn
Tel.: +372 6411 287. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Lena Selén
Degerby Igor Museum
Furuborgsvägen 6, 10160 Degerby
Tel.: +358 40 5418526, E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Andreas Wagner
Scientific employee, Dr.
“Politische Memoriale”, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Severinstrasse 6, 19053 Schwerin
Tel.: +49 03 85-7 58 73 11, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Helmuth Frauendorfer
Vice Director Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial
Genslerstrasse 66, 13055 Berlin
Tel.: 0049 1737211004, E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Fridthor Eydal
Manager, Defense Programs, Keflavik International Airport (Isavia Ltd)
Aviation and military museum (under development)
co. Fridthor Eydal, Lækjharhjalla 8, 200 Kopavogur, Iceland
Tel.: +354 664-0361, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Andris Biedrins,
Chairman, Industrial Heritage Trust of Latvia,
Sergeja Eizenstaina iela 8, Riga, LV-1079,
Mob.tel +371 20283293, E-mail: email@example.com.
Ms. Aira Andriksone,
Former Director of Tourism Department, Ministry of Economics.
Former Managing Director, Latvian Association of Castles, Palaces and Manors.
Member of the Audit Commission, ICOMOS LATVIA.
Tel.: +37126538575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Dalius Zygelis
Head of a programme ”Live Memory”.
Memorial Department of the
Genocide and Resistance Research Centre of Lithuania.
Auku 2A, LT-01113 Vilnius,
Tel.: + 370 5 266 3278, E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Giedrius Norvaišas
Žemaitija National Park, Žemaitija Missile Base
Didžioji 8, LT-90420 Plateliai, Plungė dstr.
Tel.: +370 (8448) 49337, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Roberta Luciani Havran
Nasjonale Festningsverk (Ministry of Defence)
P.O. Box 405 Sentrum, N-0103, Oslo
Tel.: +47 23 09 36 05, E-mail: roberta.havran@ forsvarsbygg.no
Mr. Karl Lorentz Kleve
National Norwegian Aviation Museum
P.O. Box 1184, N-8001 Bodo Tel.: +47 75 50 78 56 (work) / +47 975 85 311 (cell)
Ms. Lidia Klupsz
National Heritage Board of Poland.
Ul. Szwolezerow 9, 00-464 Warsaw
Tel.: +48 22 628 48 41, Mob.tel: +48 22 629 37 91, E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Dmitry Kokorin
Director for Development
MEMORIAL, Moscow, (Human Right organisation)
Maly Karetny Pereulok 12, Moscow, 127051
Tel.: +7-916-7129255, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Andrei Zonin
Director for Programs and Education
Institute for Cultural Programs, St. Petersburg (St. Petersburg Municipality)
8 Rubinstein Street, 191025, St. Petersburg
Tel.: +7 812 570-40-44, E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Peter Wetterberg
Former Regional Manager, Swedish Military Heritage.
Box 14095, SE-104 41 Stockholm
Tel.: 0046 706637819. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE HONORARY BOARD
- Mr. Brian Mikkelsen. Former Minister for Culture, for Justice and for Economic Affairs and Business.
- Mr. Kjeld Hillingsø. Lieutenant General (retired). Former Inspector of the Danish Army and NATO Commander Allied Forces Baltic Approaches.
- Mr. Niels Jørgen Thøgersen. Former Director for Information in EU. (Special contact person to EU).
- Ms. Rikke Helms. Former Director, the Danish Cultural Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Mr. Trivimi Velliste. Former Foreign Minister and Estonian ambassador to United Nations. Co-founder, former chairman and today Honorary Chairman of the Estonian Heritage Society.
- Mr. Indrek Tarand. Member of the European Parliament. Former director of Estonian War Museum-General Laidoner Museum.
- Mr. Peep Pillak, Chairmann of Estonia Heritage Society.
- Mr. Pär Stenbäck. Minister (Hon.). Former Foreign Minister and Minister of Education. Former Secretary General of the Nordic Council of Ministers.
- Mr. Pentti Airio. Brigade General (retired). Chairman of the Association of Military History.
- Mr. Ove Enqvist. Commander (retired). Chairman of the Finnish Society for Coast Artillery Traditions.
- Mr. Markus Meckel. Former Foreign Minister. Former dissident in GDR. Member of German Bundestag 1990-2009. Chairman of the Council, Federal Foundation for the Reappraisal of Communist Dictatorship. Member Board, European Network Remembrance and Solidarity. Member Advisory Office, Federal Commissioner for the Stasi-Archives.
- Ms. Anna Kaminsky. Executive Director, Federal Foundation for the Reappraisal of Communist Dictatorship.
- Mr. Hubertus Knabe. Director, Memorial Berlin-Hohenschönhausen.
- Mr. Jón Baldvin Hannibalsson. Former social democratic leader and Minister for Foreign Affairs and External Trade of Iceland.
- Ms. Sandra Kalniete . Former Foreign Minister and EU Commissar. Member of the European Parliament. Chair of the Reconciliation of European Histories group in the European Parliament.
- Mr. Valters Nollendorfs. Professor Emeritus. Chairman of the Board, Occupation Museum Association of Latvia.
- Mr. Vytautas Landsbergis. Former Head of State of Lithuania. Member of the European Parliament.
- Mr. Arvydas Anušauskas. Historian. Member of the Lithuanian Parliament.
- Mr. Albinas Kentra. Chairman of the Lithuanian Freedom Fighters and Forest Brothers Association.
- Ms. Audra Sabaliauskiene. Former Director, the Danish Cultural Institute, Vilnius.
- Mr. Anders C. Sjaastad. Former Minister of Defense. The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs.
- Mr. Gullow Gjeseth. Major General (retired). The Norwegian Institute for Defense Studies.
- Mr. Bogdan Borusewicz. Deputy Speaker (Deputy Marshal) of the 10th. terms of the Senat of the Republic of Poland. Former leading member of Solidarity trade union.
- Mr. Basil Kerski. Director, European Solidarity Centre, Gdansk.
- Mr. Arseny Roginsky. Co-founder and President of MEMORIAL, Moscow. International historical and human rights society.
- Mr. Anders Björck. Former Minister of Defense and Governor of Uppsala County.
- Mr. Leif H. Sjöström. Ambassador (retired). Former Director-General and Commandant of the Swedish Coast Guard. Former Consul-General of Sweden in Hamburg.
- Mr. Leif Törnquist. Colonel (retired). Former Director General of the National Swedish Museums of Military History.
- Mr. Christian Braunstein. Lieutenant-colonel (retired). Former Head of Swedish Military Heritage.